Thursday, October 2, 2008

Traditions

For the last two weeks I've been reading this blog which is just amazing!!!! Actually, two. The blog was originally written to talk about this girls infertility challenges but her sister recently got in a plane crash and now its a blog dedicated to her as she fights for her life. This blog is just inspirational , her family is going through so much yet they manage to have Faith in these hard times. Stephanie, the girl who got in the plane crash, has a blog on motherhood. This blog has touch a lot of women around the world. I can imagine why. I've been reading her posts and she is just amazing! She is fully of energy. She has four kids and a husband who she just adores. It's really cool to see how she expresses her love for them. Anyways, Stephanie and her family just have cool traditions. One of their traditions is to let go of wish balloons for every birthday in the family. So, I've been thinking of what i can do with my family although it just consist of two people...(at least for now). I found this article published in Forever Families. (it's a good website by the way) And it talks about family traditions. The first paragraph i read in the article hit me, "Meaningful family traditions provide parents with an invaluable tool for carrying out their divine responsibility to rear children in love and righteousness. As families establish and follow traditions, each family member is strengthened and the family as a whole grows in unity and love." That's so true!!!!
Growing up we had a tradition to say "I love you" before going to bed. Those simple "I love yous" strengthen our bond as a family. And now I try to do it with John. And the more I express my love for him the more I'm aware of all the things i need to be grateful for. Here is a list of traditions that some families have that i really like:

  • Wish Balloons
  • For birthdays, each family member chooses his or her favorite menu, then everyone except the birthday person helps prepare the meal.
  • No one can go to bed until they've told each member of the family "I love you."
  • Saturdays are Dad's day to make breakfast with the kids.(I'm not sure if John would like this one...hehe.j.k.)
  • Have a special dinner plate to be used by a family member who has a reason to celebrate.
  • Keep a family journal, letting everyone write in it.
  • Establish your own holidays, such as an "Unbirthday Party

What are some of your traditions? Post.

If you want to check Forever Families click here http://foreverfamilies.net/xml/home.aspx

Check out cjane's blog: http://blog.cjanerun.com/

Or Stephanie's (Nie Nie) blog: http://www.nieniedialogues.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

John and Jessica said...

Marj! You beat me to the punch, I had been contemplating posting something about these two blogs on mine...
I am SO hooked on NieNie and C Jane myself! I read both blogs on a daily basis and cry. They are so amazing. You are right, they are inspirational in every way. Every morning I read up on updates and just admire their love for each other, strength and faith in the Lord. Reading the NieNie dialogues has helped me appreciate and strengthen my marriage and help me recognize what a true calling it is to be a mother. Thanks for this wonderful post.

j said...

I checked out that blog you recommended. I loved the post about hiding happy fortunes. What a cool tradition! I want to do that someday too. I loved your post. You are so cool Marjorie! I'm sure you'll be the most amazing mom ever someday too!